View Single Post
Old 01-04-2019, 02:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Bell View Post
For example, do you emulate the instrumental melody using a fingerstyle or hybrid-picking technique, so you don't completely abandon the rhythm of the song?

Do you pluck individual notes, maybe occasionally filling them out with double-stops or three-note chord shapes?

If you don't have the guitar skills to dazzle your audience and want to focus on your singing, what do you do for the solos when performing alone, like at a winery or coffee house?
That is the challenge, and yes, the art, of doing covers as a solo artist. It is also what makes it interesting and fun.

As a finger picker I can usually incorporate elements of the signature riff or melody into what I’m playing. Single notes? Never. I do the Wonderful Tonight riff with double stops punctuated by the surrounding chords, same thing with Ventura Highway. While I seldom do note-for-note anything, the piano break from Christopher Cross’ Sailing was something that I made a special effort to cover on guitar. Looper? Only for sound check.