View Single Post
Old 07-25-2022, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorse View Post
Ignore the dodgy singing here, but on this (rough) iphone clip would you call what I was doing crosspicking? Someone commented 'nice crosspicking' on a video of me playing the same song that went out on an instagram live from an audience member.

This sort of strum-pattern is what I tend to do instinctively when the bass notes have to lead the chords around, or I'm playing solo and need to fill up the sound. If I had someone else playing with me I'd drop most of the treble-side picking and make it sparser.

But to my mind crosspicking would be a much more deliberate and accurate style of playing, more related to bluegrass, and something I was planning on making an effort to try and learn properly in the future.

There are brief cross-picking-type spurts of notes but I'd term what you're doing in this song as a bass/chordal/melody mix and a wonderful one at that! What you're doing is better for a solo act as it fills out the music whether for a strict instrumental or for backing a song's vocal. Crosspicking usually sounds best with at least another guitar, or a bass, or drumming providing a rhythmic backwash.
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 07-25-2022 at 02:35 PM.