View Single Post
Old 01-25-2020, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

OK, so you're sure you want to record direct with a K&K system, and are just asking which one to get? The one that includes the mic will likely sound a bit better. My experience with the small K&K preamps is that they're pretty noisy, too noisy for me to want to record with, probably ok for live use. Maybe they've improved, tho, it's been a while.

None of your pickup options will sound as natural for recording (assuming that's what you want) as just recording with your SM57, since you already have that. The amp also wouldn't play any role in recording for me, but you may have different ideas of the sound you want.

In any case, it sounds like you have a pretty set plan in mind, which is great, I'd dive in and start recording with whatever you have now (SM57?) add what ever you think will work slowly so you can course correct if you find it's not working for you, and enjoy the process - it can be a very long and fun journey figuring out how to record. Post some examples here once you have them, and I'm sure people will chime in with feedback and suggestions.