View Single Post
Old 05-18-2014, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Yes, MS requires 1 figure 8 mic. I was just pointing out that that's a micing approach that works well when you want to play with the stereo image. But I misunderstood - you were talking about panning your double tracked recordings. Different thing, so ignore my comments.
Oh know please keep them coming. Double tracked guitars will more than likely occur less than 10% of the time(on Acoustic guitar based music).

I first started using that technique tracking Hard Rock stuff. Example a SM57 or two(don't really have success with 57's must be me) or a 57 and a e609) Now I am trying a Heil PR-30 and SM7b combo.)This requires two mono tracks with each set panned usually hard left or right. Sometimes even layer more than 2 tracks panned on each other. However that was going for a specific sound and very tricky. I found as time went by I liked just one main track then add more tracks with usually just 1 or 2 being different riffage fills and stuff. After sifting through some ideas from a year or two ago, or ones coming to me lately I can only see that 10% or less to try double tracking.

When some songs should remain in a rawer form less busy mix there will be fewer acoustic gtr. tracks involved and some with true Stereo with either 2 SDC's or one with a LDC. I can see using just one mic as well. Really want to try M/S though. Have been shopping for a Ribbon or Perhaps a multi pattern LDC.