View Single Post
Old 05-18-2014, 12:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud View Post
I also re-tracked the double tracked idea but each was Stereo and here again messed with several panning choices. I think I liked between 9-10 and 2-3 o'clock.

My suggestion would be to try to find a sound you like by mic positioning alone. At least get 99% there. I never pan my mic channels - that tends to lead to phase cancellation (tho if the effect sounds good, so be it - phase cancelation can act like a tone control). If I want a narrower sound, I place my mics correspondingly. If I want wider, again, change mic positions. The one mic setup that really works nicely for making this decision in the mix is Mid-Side (MS), where you can pretty much go from mono to ultra-wide stereo without any issues.

This all takes time, of course. I think it's sdelsolrey here who has thrown out a number like 100 hours on experiments. I suspect that's on the low side :-) My routine for ages was to listen to a reference recording that I like, then record myself playing a bit of the same tune, then listen and try to figure out why my recording didn't sound like the record. Move the mics an inch and repeat. Over and over.... I've kind of settled into what works for me, but I still do this when I start any new major recording project. But the process is always almost entirely mic placement.

But this is all just how I go about it, and I think the sound you are going for is significantly different from mine, so my suggestions may be irrelevant.