View Single Post
Old 04-24-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
The key the tune is in and what chords belong to that key for starters when noodling up a chord-melody tune. Of course you will
soon run into various chord substitutions (especially if you consider the melody line part of the chord rather than a separate thing).

See if you can practice hearing individual four and five note in chords you make up. Say less typical chords such as 3-x-2-2-3-x
or 3-x-3-4-4-3 or x-3-x-4-5-5.

Practice recognizing a bit better the sound of chord categories (e.g. dominant and major seventh chords).

Personally when making up my own music I am listening to voices rather than thinking about notes.
Thanks. I do this sometimes. I am usually good at hearing the highest note, the lowest note, and one more note close to the lowest note. If it is a 4 note chord, typically the second highest notes gets lost in the mix. If I play that note and then the chord, I can definitely hear it, and cannot believe I was unable to hear it in the first place. Is this common among musicians or most musicians can separately hear the notes easily?