View Single Post
Old 05-14-2017, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
I'm continually of the mind that amps with extension cabs are the best coverage solution. If I were building a compact yet powerful system to cover a lot of space, I'd be looking at a Tonematch with two Jam 100's, Jam 150 ext cabs or two k8s.

If money was the big issue, I'd do two Loudbox minis, or a Loudbox artist and a mini. If really cheap were the goal, two demo Bugera AC60's and you're done for under $400.

And bassy was not the problem with the Nano system I heard. It sounded hollow, nasal and cheap.

I think I know exactly what you mean The hollow sounding isn't kind of a characteristic all those systems share. I've said it already on another thread. My opinion on this one is that if you like low-mid range or high-bass frequencies (where the body of the sound is) those system are not good for you. Traditional loudspeakers have their woofer and tweeter speakers with a crossover around 2khz. It means that the tweeter handles frequencies above 2khz. Since the woofer and tweeters are close to each other, there is barely a misalignement. The systems we are talking about have satellites that handle most of the frequencies to be able to throw sound above the heads of the audience. The problem is that the crossover is between 200hz and 400hz. So part of the body of the sound comes from the satellite and another part from the subwoofer. If there is some misalignement you get interferences... One of the thing, the sonomag magazine liked about hk nano is that you can tune the separation between the satellite and woofer and get the best sound at a specific distance. You can't do that with other systems (Bose, jbl, Maui...)
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/