View Single Post
Old 02-18-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
I have done a couple of Mahogany guitars without binding on the back. I had one with rather plain Mahogany where the back and sides blending well. I had a rib bevel which just was an additional contour and blended right in. I thought it all looked great but, I seemed to be the only one though.
Binding on top is another story. The binding and purfling does a lot to protect the softer soundboard. Plus, I am willing to argue that putting that hard edge around the top makes the guitar sound better. I can hear the difference when tapping a top before and after binding. I am saying “better” here. People sometimes like to say “different” and I’ll agree as far as “better” qualifies as “different”!

Mark
Thanks for the explanation Mark, you tend to forget the purposes of some things like binding, and that it's not there purely for aesthetic reasons.
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar