View Single Post
Old 10-25-2018, 04:03 PM

Thanks for the replies! Lovely to hear from you.

It's been huge fun* so far working with Tom on this - so I hope some of that enjoyment wears off by proxy in this thread!

* Fun for me at least. Poor Tom has to put up with my meticulous spec'ing and obsessive micro-management (more on which later). He's a good lad!

I'll fill you all in on woods as soon as I get some more time at the computer again that's not spent working. (Life with a toddler and a baby - one month old today...!).

Col - interesting that you underwent a similar journey! Do you have a build thread for your baritone? Or can you let me know a little more about it?

You've also made me realise that it was about 11 years or so between my first "proper" acoustic guitar. In about 2005, I upgraded from a $90 Takamine I'd bought in Malaysia and dragged around world to a Larrivee LV09 (which was going to be my lifetime one-off guitar... right?). My first true commission arrived in 2016 (the Kostal MDC). Seems it'll be about the same gap between my baritone encounter and my custom Sands baritone! What can I say? I'm a fast mover?

In fact, more parallels with my only custom builds (at least, custom built for me): my Kostal MDC arrived a good few months after my daughter. Seems my baritone may arrive a similar time after my son. I'm sensing a pattern! I'd better not "order" any more kids, I can't afford any more guitars. On second thoughts, that should be I'd better not order any more guitars, I can't afford any more kids!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
You are well aware of my lofty opinion of Tom's work and will be pleased to know that my admiration for my model MMD remains undimmed since getting it. Indeed, it may even be getting brighter.

Looking forward to seeing this one come together, both here and on Tom's very active Instagram account.

Looking forward even more to playing it when it arrives; I know you're teasing us re the build components but what's the ETA?
Steve - Indeed! So great to hear that the love affair is going so strong (stronger, even) after the honeymoon!

To be honest, I've not even dared to ask Tom for an ETA. Patience is not my strong suit in these situations, so I'm trying to discipline myself. And I'd rather let Tom take however long he needs over it than set a date and pressurize him (or be disappointed if it's delayed). But ... Tom... If you're reading this... hurry the hell up!

Or perhaps I'm just trying to be a realist - given what's on my plate at the moment, I've precious little time for playing. And that limited time which I do have is being taken up by er, writing this. I mean, getting to know (well, become re-acquainted with) this spectacular Wingert. Major honeymoon thing going on there. I think that deserves it's own thread though... (I'll get round to that eventually too!)
Kostal MDC German/claro and OM Euro/Madrose
Larrivee L-05MT
Lowden O35cx cedar/EIR, New Lady, Baritone, O12 and O12-12
McIlroy A25c custom Cedar/Kew black walnut
Montgomery fan fret parlour Euro/ebony
Sands Baritone Swiss/Ovangkol (another due 2022)
Wingert Model E German/Braz
Yairi 1960s Soloists

Last edited by nobo; 01-03-2019 at 12:27 PM.