View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcunplugged View Post

3) I cranked the mixer signals to the max and barely got up to -6db on a loud strum, which as has been witnessed, I don't do doing normal playing. Time to borrow a mic from a friend to determine where the problem is on that front.
It's not a "problem" really, it's an application issue. The information you need is in the specifications of the mics. Condenser mics are as a class much higher in sensitivity than dynamics. This large difference in sensitivity makes a large difference in recorded level.

I think that the wide availability of low cost condenser mics is nearly as important as digital recording in making home recording so compelling. When condensers first became widely available they cost as much as a car. Now they cost less than a meal in a fancy San Francisco restaurant.

Quote:
Anyway, I didn't want to change too many things at once, so to summarize, today I moved the mics closer, and cranked up the mixer to get as much gain as possible.

Here are the results:

Raw: http://gc-unplugged.com/music/DynMic...aw-VAOM-06.mp4

Mastered: http://gc-unplugged.com/music/DynMic...ed-VAOM-06.mp4

So yes, I realize the input signal is still too weak, just not sure what to do about it, but also didn't want to change anything in the mic input signal chain yet.

From a sound quality standpoint, where yesterday's was bright, and almost brittle sounding, today's is dark, muffled, and muddy. And the Guitar is a Voyage Air VAOM-06, which is actually pretty bright.
Actually the first clip when I listened is played on a Martin and is a different tune than the mastered clip. And this one sounds much better than the "mastered" one. I really recommend abandoning your current software and trying some new approach to post production.

Quote:
Tomorrow, it's back to the day job, but I certainly see the vast difference mic placement makes, and will be looking for something in between the two setups when time allows. Just need next weekend to get here quick so I can continue experimenting

Thanks again for all the advice, and patience!
GC
p.s. And the H4n is starting to look attractive for Christmas as well...
I strongly recommend holding out for the H6 instead of the H4n.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog