View Single Post
Old 11-01-2018, 05:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
Mike, have you plugged in yet? I'm pretty impressed with the LR Baggs Lyric, after installing them in five guitars. We tested it out here on Joel's Carvin acoustic amp, and with all the controls set flat, it sounded clean and woody, with zero hum. It'll take some knob-and-slider tweaking to get it set just right, but I hope it sounds great for you plugged in.

As for bass response, it sounded to me like it has plenty of potential. I think it'll fatten up nicely as it gets played in some.
And it really is illuminating to have a friend play it for you, especially in a live room. When Joel was playing the guitar in the shop and I was listening ten feet away, the bass end had some nice punch.

And, you might also want to try using a set of light/medium strings, like D'Addario EJ 19 strings, gauged .012- .056, or an equivalent. I use them a lot for my D- and C- based tunings, but they work fine for A440 Standard too.
Steve, I'm sure the bass will thicken up, no doubt! I also know that guitars are individual in nature, I might need to change my pick attack a bit. Plus, I'm going to put on different strings, per your suggestion, though I usually go with Elixir, and that'll have a difference. The key is, the guitar sounds wonderful already, and to know it is going to continue to develop is very exciting.

I did plug it in to my Fishman Loudbox and it sounded really nice! It was rich, full and warm. And you're right, no hum at all, no sound until I plucked a string. I'll adjust the settings to get it where I want it, perhaps a bit more trebly, but for the few moments it was connected, it really filled the room with a lovely sound. What was funny was, I had to turn it up pretty loud to hear it over the guitar. I don't know if it the sound port, or if it just naturally a loud guitar (a good thing!), but I had to turn up the volume to hear the amp. I'm really looking forward to my next gig!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Late to the party here, but WOW... love the way everything ties in, from the woods, to the inlay motif. Congrats and good luck on a beauty!
Thanks Louie! Steve put a lot of time and effort in working everything out. He really did a great job of pulling all of the elements together and was very patient with me as I asked for some adjustments here and there. I can't speak highly enough about his demeanor and desire to craft something that is not only beautiful, but exactly what I was hoping to receive.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)