View Single Post
Old 11-11-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty8 View Post
The title says it. I'm "trying" to like my M-36. This guitar came to me in late July, 2015, new. I had a set up down on it after tree weeks, much earlier than I would with a new guitar. I would ordinarily play it in more. But the tone and intonation just wasn't good. It got better after the set-up. Tried Elixir strings, which I like on my Taylors. Didn't like them on the Martin. Now I'm back to Martin Life Span SP, the ones recommended by Martin. They're just ok.
But honestly, I'm just not enjoying this guitar, still. It doesn't stay in tune easily. And if even slightly out, it's noticeable. It finger picks nicely. But it doesn't sound great strummed. I thought that the M size (OOOO) would do both well. That's what all the professional reviews indicated. I'm considering getting rid of it and buying a D-18. I'm torn with keeping it a couple of years and waiting for it to improve. But I'm fearful that it won't.
Any thoughts?
If the saddle fit is off, pretty common in my experiences, then the guitar will fall 'flat'. Strings are big, but a bad fit will undermine a guitar from the start. I'm just a couple of miles from you, and would be interested in taking a look at this, but then you'd have to trust some unknown individual. If you're game, then pm me.