View Single Post
Old 03-31-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T268 View Post
So, I went to GC today to spend some time in the acoustic room. Mostly it was to firm up details for my build, but also if something amazing popped up, I might be tempted. Anyway, I learned a few things. Taylors are freaking loud! Great note separation, too much in fact for my taste. Other thing I learned, my ear stinks. I played all sorts of different guitars, and I couldn't tell much between Mahogany, Ovangkol, or rosewood. It all sounded good. I pretty much firmed up what I already told Ed to make for me. OM 25' scale, 1 3/4 nut, ebony bridge and finger board, curly maple binding. Now that I think about it though, the biggest components of this build I couldn't try. No lutz, no walnut. Bummer. Gotta trust the luthier I suppose.

The biggest surprise was after playing a Taylor 4something, 814ce, 000-28EC amongst others, the best sounding one in the whole shop to my ear was the $700 used Larrivee L-03R. So balanced. It got me really excited that I'm going to love this guitar, knowing where Ed cut his teeth.
You never know, Ed may have made that specific Larrivee. Sounds like you're going to get a great Halcyon.