View Single Post
Old 05-09-2019, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post

So what's up with all those expensive picks you guys keep going on about? I'm not poking at anybody, just curious. What is it you get out of them that I seem to be missing?

It felt way too thick and there was almost no attack to the note. I handed it right back and thanked the guy. Maybe I'm just plain dense?
Not dense at all, just the opposite. You have a sound in your head and you found the pick that helps you produce that sound. It's hard to do better than that.

I have a different sound in my head. I suspect what you call attack I call pick click. Not right or wrong, just different preferences.

I like to amuse myself with short runs of fast notes. When I was auditioning picks I found that Blue Chip picks provided the fastest, cleanest runs given the same technique.

I think it's worth noting that, even for the people who appreciate expensive picks for the tone, it's a subtle difference to any audience (if they can tell at all). I use the pick for my own enjoyment. And as always, if you don't hear and/or appreciate the difference - don't pay for it.

I almost never do strictly strumming for any length of time, assuming I understand the term. If I did I imagine I would opt for a thinner pick.

We don't all wear the same shirt or drive the same car, no reason we should all use the same pick.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo