View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
The speakers on your list are all active ones except for the JBLs which are passive. If I were considering the one's on your list, I'd choose the JBLs without hesitation but if you don't have a suitable power amplifier and the budget won't stretch far enough to buy the JBLs plus a power amp, the JBLs aren't a choice for you. In that case, I would compare the remaining choices with your Alesis M1s to see if any of them are better to a degree that would justify the cost of replacing the M1s.

One criterion you mentioned was, "no distortion when cranked". Monitoring should be done at approximately 85 dB. Since these are all near-field monitors I'd expect all of them to capable of that with adequate headroom to spare.
Thanks HH, my challenge is that I cannot compare the M1s to anything... I will take out the JBLs since I didn't know they were passive and cannot afford them.

On the cranking up comment - I know, I don't mix at high levels, I just want to be able to hear them at high levels after mixing.