View Single Post
Old 07-20-2017, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrummerLovin View Post
Whats up everyone, thanks for being so helpful and encouraging to a newbie like me. I got a question for if you all don't mind.

After playing for a while I want to record my music, just to put on places like here or for myself to listen to and learn from. I am going to be spending some money on my recording set up as I think I will be a lot happier when I start recording music and listening to it, so I was looking at some of the Neumann microphones. I have read online that they make some of the best microphones for home recording, but I wanted to ask what peoples experience here is with them.

The ones I am eyeing are the U87, U47, KM140, or the KM84. They all seem to be up there in price, so I want to make sure my money is spent wisely and that I am not buying something expensive that I don't need. If anyone can chime in with experience with these mics or suggestions for something better I would be very appreciative.
Designing a home recording studio and populating it with equipment should be approached holistically, i.e., all aspects of it should be researched and determined before any gear purchases are made.

Step 1 is to identify what you will be recording, the maximum number of simultaneous tracks you will need to record and the end product you will produce.

Step 2 is to set an overall budget.

Step 3 is to identify, generically, the equipment needed, including computer, software, computer interface, outboard gear, room treatment, etc.

Step 4 is to choose the specific equipment making sure the total cost is within your budget (or revise your budget accordingly).

Step 5 is to purchase the equipment and install it.

Step 6 is to spend the hundreds of hours needed to learn how to use it.