View Single Post
Old 07-20-2017, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrummerLovin View Post
Whats up everyone, thanks for being so helpful and encouraging to a newbie like me. I got a question for if you all don't mind.

After playing for a while I want to record my music, just to put on places like here or for myself to listen to and learn from. I am going to be spending some money on my recording set up as I think I will be a lot happier when I start recording music and listening to it, so I was looking at some of the Neumann microphones. I have read online that they make some of the best microphones for home recording, but I wanted to ask what peoples experience here is with them.

The ones I am eyeing are the U87, U47, KM140, or the KM84. They all seem to be up there in price, so I want to make sure my money is spent wisely and that I am not buying something expensive that I don't need. If anyone can chime in with experience with these mics or suggestions for something better I would be very appreciative.
It isn't just about the microphones. Have you done enough research to understand all the pieces of gear you will need in your recording and playback chain (including the recording space/room)? It's good that you are willing to 'spend some money on your recording setup', but you probably want to know how and where you will be using it so you know what you will need (i.e. will you be recording in stereo?). Then you probably want to get pieces of gear that are at a somewhat equal level of 'quality/performance'. Also, there's lot of high quality gear, and often times the difference is not quality/performance but personal choice. If you don't yet know your preferences you may not be ready to make the optimal choice.

So, you may get more good information if you describe how you intend to use your recording setup and what your expectations are. Also, if you could provide your budget range (for all the gear combined) you may get better suggestions.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi