View Single Post
Old 09-27-2022, 11:18 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
Thanks for pointing that out. I've been making the dual ports as a standard feature for about three years now. After a decade and a half of sound port experimentation, I've found that dual ports give a guitar a very fluent and full tonal projection. The effect of dual ports is that the upper bout port tends to boost the bass response, while the lower bout port brings out the midrange and trebles. This may seem somewhat counterintuitive; you'd think it would be the other way around, wouldn't you? At the B.I.G. show, I asked many of the people who auditioned my guitars to test this out by covering one or the other of the ports to listen to the difference. Each person who did that expressed amazement. It is NOT a particularly subtle effect! So, I think the dual ports not only improve the experience for the player; they make the guitar sound louder, more nuanced, and very balanced, across the spectrum.

Dual ported guitars also seem to project a spherical sound field (as opposed to linear). When recording with microphones, dual ports will give you a plethora of mic placement options for different effects. I'm not necessarily a dual-port evangelist, but I do believe they substantially enhance a great guitar's performance. I've had nothing but affirmative responses from people who have tried them.
I've put dual ports in about a half dozen instruments and got to experience first hand the differences before and after. Every single time it was "not subtle" as you mentioned. Added warmth, volume, and the sound field you mentioned. I first experienced it with a Josh House guitar that was at Elderly's about 10 years ago. It haunted me for a long time!

Mine have been much smaller but still yielded many benefits!

Going to be giving the treatment to my Loriente classical soon.