View Single Post
Old 07-03-2021, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixitmi View Post
Nice guitar, I am sure that you will love it. IMHO, the Gretsch hollow body line is one of the closest transitions from Acoustic to Electric. In the 1960's I went from an acoustic Kay to a Country Gent, and found it to be a simple change. The Gretsch was just as unforgiving as an acoustic, where if you did make a mistake it was for all to hear. Having the required fundamentals for acoustic, made the Gretsch an easy guitar to play.
The same thing happened to may son, I would not allow him to start on electric, and then try acoustic. He went from a Yamaha LA8, to a Gretsch G5120T, when he was in Jazz Band.
The guitar studio where my son taught, had the same advice, Acoustic first, Electric next.

Many of the Gretsch fans are typically acoustic players as well.

Congratulations on a beautiful selection, I am sure you will love it, thanks for sharing.
Thanks, MrFixItMi, for your nice comment!

I concur that starting on acoustic guitar helps build muscular power in the hands and fingers that helps when learning electric guitar playing styles. Of course, there's an initial tendency for many players to press too hard when fretting electric guitar strings when transitioning from acoustic to electric guitar. Also, the pick-hand touch has to be adjusted so as not to bash the electric guitar strings. I think playing both acoustic and electric guitars keeps things interesting for the player.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20