View Single Post
Old 09-10-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
The lawsuit guitars are more myth than fact. It has become pretty much a marketing gimmick. Norlin did file a lawsuit against Ibanez in the mid-1970s but as a Goat Whiskey Picks notes it was for copying the Gibson open book headstock. The suit was settled out of court. As far as I know that is the only actual legal action taken regarding acoustic guitars. At one time, however, Martin was ready to enter into an agreement with Takamine to produce the Sigma line. Martin went as far as to provide blue prints and tooling to produce the guitars. When Kaman bought Tak though Martin pulled the plug on the project. There are those who say Tak took advantage of the situation to produce Martin clones. Me, I do not have a clue if it is true or not.

I have never heard anything about, nor can I find any information about Kaman Corp buying out Takamine.

I do know that Yamaha has never produced an exact look alike guitar to a Martin, like Takamine, Alvarez, Tama, Aria, Morris, and a number of other Japanese and other Asian guitar makers have made. Yamaha has always retained a very original look to their guitars, even when using a standard dreadnaught body shape, which they actually did not use all that much in the grand scheme of their model lines and body and headstock shapes.

It would be great to see a good picture or two of this Yamaha guitar in question.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher