View Single Post
Old 01-08-2017, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

I already had a couple Taylors when I came upon an absolutely gorgeous tobacco burst 814ce. My wife is a "guitar encourager," always quick to say, "Get it!"

I am not independently wealthy, and this would be the most expensive guitar I'd bought in over 40 years of playing. I went for it.

In the meantime, my wife had been watching a T5 on eBay. I had played a T5 in a guitar shop before getting the 814 and was totally taken with the feel and sound... but I didn't need another electric guitar. She kept saying, "You should get this!" It was pretty and pristine. I had never bought a guitar (or anything that expensive) on eBay. In fact, it had been a couple decades since I bought a used guitar. With 4 minutes left on the auction, a price that was surprisingly low, she once again said, "You really should buy this guitar!"

I couldn't justify it, since I had just bought the 814. With about 15 seconds left on the auction, she clicked in a bid just over the high bid. Before I could say, "Whhhhhhaaaattt?", she said, "This one will be mine!"

She doesn't play guitar.

The T5 isn't the most expensive guitar I own. (Well, I guess I don't really own it.) It doesn't get played as much as some of my acoustics. But, it makes my heart happy every time I look at it, and plays like buttah when I take it off the wall. It moved a notch above the ES-335 that had been my favorite electric, a guitar I've had since I was 13.

The fact that she really wanted me to have this guitar makes it the most special Taylor in our household.