View Single Post
Old 04-22-2021, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Depends on the brand, the gauge and the guitar in my experience. I find that because round cores feel less stiff to me in general, I tend to play them with a more robust touch and that may account for increased volume but your experience may be different.
Best,
Jayne
I am a stead fast Newtone Round core user. I have also used Sunbeams and Pyramid round cores which are also very good strings.
I think Jaymarsch makes a good point. Round cores are less stiff ( or in the terms I like to use= they depress easier) The reason being is a hex shape is stronger than a round shape. Round is easier to depress. Thus if you play with the same intensity, the strings may be vibrating more.
In my opinion Round cores sustain longer. And not only that but the initial attack stays up longer. It does not die off quickly like hex cores. That may gives you the appearance of louder in itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
My experience is that Sunbeams are slightly less loud than, say, D'Addario EJ-17 or Martin SP.
Yes, I do think that Sunbeams have less loudness as compared to Newtones or as Dwasifar mentioned....D'Addarios. Loudness in some cases might be related to core size.
What I do think that Sunbeams have over other round cores is more dynamic range between their lows and highs. While they are slightlyless loud, they are an extremely expressive string. For a dedicated finerstylist they offer great sensitivity. What I find interesting about Sunbeams is they sound great on rosewood, but not so much on mahogany or walnut guitars. Where as Newtones sound great on Rosewood, mahogany and walnut back and side guitars. And I have found others who have also felt this way.