View Single Post
Old 02-08-2019, 10:08 AM

Perhaps this is because I'm the young pup of this forum and perhaps a punk. Tell me something can't be done and it only motivates me. Traditionalists hate change and always claim it can't be done.

There really aren't too many trade secrets or proprietary parts on Martins that can't be duplicated elsewhere. That's not to say a shop in China can do this for $500.

I haven't pursued Gibson clones yet. Bob Thompson does a nice job with offering well built Martin style acoustics. I wanted a really slim neck. He didn't even charge me for some of the options I requested, which is something small shops can sometimes do. I easily spent a lot less money than had I gone through a dealer and Martin's custom shop.

Can't be done. No way. Well, I already did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmz76 View Post
Different players value different things, but the non-subjective that impact price include a long list of aesthetics (bindings, inlays) which have no impact on quality or tone from a utility stand point. Rarity of exotic woods (if you're a player that prefers mahogany with its tonal attributes, are you really going to spend $5000 an Brazilian back and sides and have to deal with the sites paperwork, etc..). My point is buying an acoustic guitar is not a spend more=get more game unless your context is just to have the most expensive, most coveted guitar among guitar enthusiast. Respect the boutique creations for what they are and understand the reasons behind their seemingly exorbitant cost. Maybe those details are worth it to you as a buyer, bu maybe they are not. It's a very personal thing.
I have 2 Brazilian guitars. I have zero worries or concerns about paperwork. It's not like I travel internationally and bring my expensive guitar with me. One of my Brazilian guitars was about $4k. I can't complain. To be honest, my Brazilian OM probably cost less than a Martin custom shop with EIR.