View Single Post
Old 07-03-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Maybe we should have a list of these over-marketed bad mics to stay away from! There are so many mics, I imagine it might be faster to list the bad ones than all the good ones.

They've done lists like this on gearslutz a few times - bad purchases and so on, but oddly they often end up containing the same items as the "best" threads. One person's crap is another's ideal.
Remember, I'm starting from the assumption that we're trying to record a "natural", unaltered sound. There will be exceptions, of course, but I think that's what most people are looking for. For that you need a mic (& etc) which is fast and flat. Presumably you would at least accept that not all mics are fast and flat?

You're right that you can find all kinds of contradictory advice on gearslutz but that doesn't negate any attempt to objectively assess the quality of different mics.

Perhaps I emphasise mics more because fixing the room or experimenting with mic placement are relatively cheap and easy - although no less important. If you make a mistake with a mic placement, you can try again but if you make a mistake with a mic purchase, you might be stuck with it if, like me, you can't afford to just write it off and go back for a better one.