View Single Post
Old 08-20-2018, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I think Doug Young has pointed this out many times in the past, that a direct recording of a pickup can sound pretty marginal where the same pickup into a sound system and live room (or reverb) can sound pretty good. Add the background noise of a restaurant gig and you'll understand why so many live guitarists are using the UST shipped with their guitar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I agree, a direct recording of a pickup proves nothing...
A direct recording is a compromise in an accurate representation of what a pickup sounds like but at least other variables such as a room, a mic and its position, speakers don't come into the equation.
Direct recordings won't tell you how a particular sound will translate in a live setting but it definitely gives you an idea what a pickup sounds like.

On his website, Doug posts a direct signal for a reason.

Fortunately, in this thread the OP cleverly included both a direct and a room recording.

I much prefer to have a demo of a direct recording rather than a demo (quite common on YouTube) when someone wants to show a pickup or a preamp or an amp/PA and records a room sound with an acoustic sound of a guitar bleeding into the final signal. That's why I placed the speaker in a different room from where I was with my guitar for the sample in my first post in this thread.