View Single Post
Old 12-24-2010, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarsanyone View Post
I am going to find a used Somogyi, buy it on a 3 day policy, and take 20 pictures of the inside of the guitar so we can put to rest the proprietary bracing talk. I don't see the big deal, it is fairly easy to find that out. And I am sure Kostal's is the same as Somogyi's.

I don't see any patents at the US Patent office under his name so can't be that proprietary LOL.
You could try that, although Ervin's bracing has constantly evolved through 40 years of building and what you'd see in an older guitar would not be the same as in today's instruments. It's not really a case of proprietary bracing, more the process itself and methodology behind it as pertains to THIS particular instrument.

Of course Jason Kostal uses the same techniques as his teacher, but that doesn't mean he's looking for the same results.

There are many luthiers who would be less than happy to see the insides of their work splashed over the internet and I can fully respect that.

I think your plan has one fatal flaw though, once you'd bought your second-hand Somogyi guitar (of any period) it would be a real challenge to give it back when the three days were up!
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.