View Single Post
Old 06-19-2019, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
It really is a "to each their own" scenario. I like the look of them all. Plain carbon with any of the color options but those exotic veneers to me top the cake. Sure they're not cheap but they certainly catch my eye whether it be royal ebony, cocobolo, koa, paudauk, etc etc. and add a special touch to any of their instruments.
I like most of the veneers, not all. But keep in mind, most Emeralds (ALL in my experience but I've only seen one veneer guitar up close) are much MUCH darker in the real world than they are under the glamour lighting Emerald uses for their product marketing. I've had two different colors of plain carbon and now have a cocobolo veneer, and they're all very close to black in typical indoor lighting, although the veneer less so than the plain carbons. Maybe some of the lighter shades of veneer are more visible. My cocobolo is visible in typical indoor lighting, but the only really strong visual clue is the arrow shaped stripe down the center that's MUCH lighter than the rest of the veneer.

They have an X30 on their site right now in a veneer they call "thermal oak" and it's so dark you have to blow up the photo as large as you can to see the veneer even WITH their glamour lighting! Can't imagine just how dark that would look in normal lighting...

I like the plain carbon just fine, but once I'd had two of those and was pretty sure the next one I was ordering was gonna be the long term keeper of the bunch, I spent the extra for the veneer. And it's not a huge deal, but I'm glad I did. I mostly don't see it after a while, but in good lighting, which I sometimes stumble upon, it's pretty gorgeous and I was right about the guitar. Right now it's my only acoustic and it may or not stay my ONLY long term, but I can guarantee I'm gonna be looking at this guitar for a looooooong time... So it was worth it to me in this circumstance.