View Single Post
Old 09-26-2019, 10:43 AM

I bought and returned a ToneDexter because it sounded great at home and great at a gig when I was not soloing. I think today I would know how to resolve my issues.

I am currently loading IRs into an HX Stomp to get to roughly the same place. I have a footswitch assigned to bypassing the IR and the parametric EQ I use with it. I thought I would be switching it off for solos but I think I was able to tweak the IR/EQ combination in ways I could not with ToneDexter. Given all the patches and IRs you can store in the HX Stomp, it seems like a good solution for a multi instrumentalist in a band.

You would still need to generate the raw IRs which I received from Cuki79 for my Parlor and Dreadnought. One option is to use ToneDexter's recording studio slot to generate IRs. That way you bypass their IR post processing for feedback resistance. Read them into your PC and and do a spectrum analysis with one of the many free DAW programs. Then make note of where the 100-200 Hz peaks are in the IR (body effect and top resonance). You can then download the IR into the IR pedal of choice or use ToneDexter, and feed that to parametric EQ to handle those peaks trading off feedback resistance, tone, and punch for what sounds best to you. 40% IR, -6 dB body effect, -3 dB top resonance was the sweet spot for my ears and works well playing a solo at high volume.

The HX Stomp is my graphic EQ, IR pedal, parametric EQ, reverb, solo boost compressor, and looper all in one box.

For people with simpler requirements or larger pedal boards, ToneDexter is a fantastic product.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 09-26-2019 at 03:46 PM.