View Single Post
Old 02-20-2021, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Any of you losing friends as you age? Not from them dying but just because your relationships have faded away?
Hi J-Doug,

I’ve lost friends due to both. In my view, this is simply how life works. In high school you have a lot in common, life is simple. Then life gets more complicated, people pursue different paths and therefore, grow apart when there is nothing left in common.

I did go to a 40th reunion and four of us who had not kept in touch, found that we had things in common NOW. So for the past 5 years, we all take equal responsibility to call, schedule a lunch, or a road trip to look at guitars. Of course, having that history is a plus, but it wouldn’t work unless we had something in common now.

As for your one great friend, yes, you should be thankful and cherish that relationship. I had a friend who was a brother to me for 40 years. Similar to you, we had many things in common. He passed away 3 years ago.

So what’s left to do? I volunteered at my church and made new friends that have interests that are relevant to me. I go to a bagel shop on Saturday’s and socialize over coffee. I made friends with 3 guys who were of similar age and had similar interests as me.

I’m grateful for the wonderful people God gave to me during my lifetime. But I’m cognizant not to miss out on the present. For me, that means cherishing the people and the life I have now.

Best of luck to you and thank you for bringing up an important topic.

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-20-2021 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Fixed quote