View Single Post
Old 02-20-2021, 11:49 AM
Guest 33123

Default Dwindling friends

Hi guys,

Any of you losing friends as you age? Not from them dying but just because your relationships have faded away?

I had three good friends in high school but our life paths diverged when I left our hometown at 23. All three friends are now divorced with kids. Two spend their days drunk and high though they have kids to raise. We pretty much never talk, maybe a text every couple of years. The other friend, despite living about a half hour from me, hasn't talked to me in 15+ years. He's probably still pissed that when his marriage was failing apart due to his ongoing bad behaviour I flat out told him that he was wrong and should do whatever it took to get his wife back. All three have longstanding fidelity issues. I fully realize that it is their lives to live but I can't relate to them their current states. Our lives are in completely different places.

I have some "friends" at work but for most part I rarely talk to them and pretty much never see them outside of 9-5 Mon/Fri.

I'm very lucky that I have one best friend of 46+ years that I'm in contact with weekly. We started playing guitar together and we pretty much see life in the same way. We chat a couple of times a week, a lot of the time about music and gear but also family, careers, household stuff, collecting and a wide range of topics.

I'm also very lucky that I'm happily married with 2 teenagers and we get along famously for the most part so I have that to enjoy. I also have a brother who I chat with at times. My other brother is a thief and liar who preys on family members so I'm happy we don't talk.

But essentially I have one friend. I know I'm a bit of an odd duck so I can see how my personality has contributed to this. I know I don't fit in around the AGF either so I often consider not coming here anymore. I guess at 48 it's what I have and I should thank goodness for that.

How about you?

Last edited by Guest 33123; 02-20-2021 at 02:44 PM.