View Single Post
Old 01-04-2019, 08:55 PM

Default Advice for When I Get My New Emerald X20 Nylon?

The last projection is that it may be completed sometime in mid January to early February. I'd appreciate some advice on what I should do before I start dumping in loads of time on it...

Should I get a set up done immediately? Seems like some members here needed it while some didn't. I've only ever asked for a setup for a wood guitar, and it was specifically to address fret buzzing, so any advice would be appreciated. I figure it couldn't hurt to have a tech look at it regardless?

Should I change out the saddle/nut? Mine will have no electronics, so the only consideration is acoustic tone, intonation, and longevity. There seems to be a lot of strong opinions on bone vs tusq. While I don't have a strong opinion myself, my Rainsong steel string has tusq, and when I change strings, I can definitely see wear in the saddle, and I purchased it brand new less than a year ago. My classical has bone, and looks/sounds great, but that might just be because the strings are nylon.

With whatever nut/saddle/strings I settle down with, should I get it intonated? (I know you can only optimize a guitar's intonation, and that I shouldn't look for absolute perfection). Or just don't worry about it?

I'd appreciate any thoughts on the above, and/or any other considerations you fine folk think I should make.

Thanks for your attention :-)