View Single Post
Old 02-26-2017, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Thanks Ken! Helpful as always! I had not considered the issue with large rowdy crowds. Especially when my fellow Irishmen imbibe. :-). I still contend that my Line 6 sounds excellent. It's just a little hard to use in the studio. For instance, when using effects, they are essentially inaudible when using the Line 6 at low volume. Any suggestions? Change the DPS on the speaker?

Should I just keep it and get a little practice amp? My assumption was that the line array would be better for quiet practice and stage volume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
How about something passable like an Acoustic A20 or A40 acoustic amp for an on-sale price of about $120/$199? Fairly lightweight and decent sounding. Another suggestion would be an UltraSound AG15 or AG30 for similar prices?

Watch out for something I call the "Down the rabbit hole, chasing rainbows syndrome," which I've suffered from, and still suffer from. The Line 6 L2t, IMHO, is as good at it gets for an decently-priced, active PA speaker. Actually, any quality speaker should be good if you work with it. In the studio, adjust the effect strength (reverb, etc) of the Line 6 L2t so you can hear the effects better at lower volume or use a TC Helicon Play Acoustic or TC Helicon VoiceLive to add effects that are better than any onboard effects on any PA speaker.

Actually, I don't like effects, especially on an acoustic guitar, and especially when playing live because they just muddy-up the tone. A little reverb on the vocals is about all I've ever used but I've tried everything, including the MXR Pitch Transposer, circa 1979 or so. Get a load of this: This was a rack unit on which you setup presets, and then activated them with a multi-button footswitch, to turn-on/-off, in real time, the correct preset to activate the correct harmony interval for the series of vocal-melody notes you were singing. Talk about being a song-and-dance man!

My recent purchase of a new Deering Sierra 5-String Banjo is my way of breaking free of the "Down the rabbit hole, chasing rainbows syndrome." It's my way of saying to myself, "Over $200,000 worth of guitars and gear over the years means enough is enough!" It was a fun but expensive journey. YMMV, but you've already got some really good gear, that can and will work well for you.

Based on advice from a couple of fellow AGF members, AlohaChris and Sdelsolray, whose experience and opinions I highly respect, if I was starting all over, and wanted the best passive loudspeaker for solo or small-group performance, I'd buy a pair of Daedalus W-803 speakers, and the necessary quality amp and mixer for them.

Based on my own experience, if I wanted excellent modern, active speakers, within a reasonable price-range, I'd buy either a pair of Line 6 L2t Active Speakers or a Bose L1 Model II system.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 02-26-2017 at 04:43 PM.