View Single Post
Old 05-27-2022, 06:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Interesting, Anton. I'm not sure that noise is actually mic (or preamp) self-noise, its pretty noticeable at lower frequencies, not as broadband as I'd expect mic noise to be. I don't have many N22 tracks lying around, but checking the few I have, the noise profile is pretty different, more even across all frequencies and substantially lower than this. I also hear a lot more room sound than I usually hear in your recordings. I wonder if the culprit is the figure-8 pattern, picking up more of your room, and maybe computer or other noise?
That's always what kept me away from ribbons at home.

I wonder if you couldn't just apply the "S" processing to each of those tracks and then listen to the "LR" (which would be two front-back sides in a Blumlein pair, right?) individually to determine how much of the room was being picked up?

The N22 is active, as well, so it will have self-noise, and should not need another preamp, other than the mic pre, at least from what I read. Interesting that the spec PDF at AEA does not include self-noise.