Thread: Dear John...
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2021, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahitijack View Post
You are probably not looking in the right places. Finding playing partners is often best through networking and avoiding the disappointment of Bandmix, craigslist and other social media platforms. I moved to Kirkland, WA and within a few weeks was in a band. Within months I discovered that one of my neighbors had a recording studio in his home. He produced radio commercials for local businesses and played drums. Another neighbor played folk music, not my thing, but we found some common ground from time to time. I had no idea he played until one evening his wife called to ask if I could come help him move furniture if I wasn't too busy...I said I was just playing my guitar..no problem. He had a nice smile when I showed up at the door...and a very nice Martin in the living room. The band? Oh, I told our realtor I hoped we could find a home with enough rooms for me to have a music room...she said her husband played drums in a jazz trio but really wanted to play rock. I found the bass player at my office and the other guitar player ran an add in CL, which in this case worked. Good luck and keep telling everyone you know what you want to do...friends family co-workers, church, treat it like a job search.
Absolutely! I'm finding some feasible prospects at open mics now that plague restrictions have relaxed somewhat (at least so far this week). In fact I carry a simple business card with my contact info, a picture of an acoustic guitar and plenty of white space to scribble a note. Networking is king because you never know where your next lead might pop up.

I'm just getting a big chuckle from how similar this all is to the contemporary dating game. I'm REALLY glad I'm not single and looking for romance in this century.

Last edited by tinnitus; 08-05-2021 at 03:37 PM.