View Single Post
Old 07-16-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawlie View Post
An avid fan of books and things about music, I like getting new tabs and dvds to learn things from. Just wondering what other people are watching and learning from, and what they like or dislike about them (and if they're helpful, of course!).

I was thinking of getting either a six-string banjo or a resonator, but checked both out and really didn't like the feel (string spacing). So I thought I'd spend some of the money on some new dvds.

So I ordered five (quite a few, I admit...). Four came in yesterday, and I think they're just great.

Woody Mann - Play that Guitar Rag
Teaches six of his songs, in a ragtime-blues style (which is my personal favorite). Of all the tab/dvds I have, this is my favorite (after watching it several times). All the songs are great, he explains the technique in getting the right sound very well, and that's exactly what I was looking for.

His "Late Morning Blues" is just fantastic. I've been trying to learn Blind Blake's "Early Morning Blues" from listening to Blake and tab from Stefan Grossman, but it was pretty rough. Not the same song, obviously, but very much in the same style and made wonderfully clear.

Roy Book Binder - Blues By the Book, part one
I had part two (songs in A), so I thought I'd get this one (songs in C). Also heavily ragtime-blues influenced songs. Only a few, and fairly high-paced teaching. But he's fun to listen to.

Ernie Hawkins - The Guitar of Blind Willie McTell
Explains six of his songs, two with slide (one in open G, one in open D). Got it mostly for "Statesboro Blues" and "Come Around to My House Mama", which are tabbed out very nicely, I think. Slightly annoying that he tunes down so low (high E down to C), so playing along with normal light-gauge strings is a little "loose".

Ari Eisinger - The Guitar of Blind Boy Fuller
Maybe my all-time favorite singer/guitarist, I love Fuller's stuff. I learned a few things by listening and some more from another Grossman book, but this tab seems much more accurate. When you hear Eisinger play, it sounds like very, very much like Fuller, (just without the scratchy-record noise). Again, six songs, and he tunes down a whole note.

Far more than I'll ever be able to learn, but it's inspiring stuff.

So just wondering, if anyone else has any dvds they're enjoying, it might be nice to hear what they're all about and what you think of them. Beginner's things to advanced stuff, I'd be interested in reading what other folks are learning and if the dvd meets your expectations.
I'm an aspiring fingerstyle player...I'm using 2 of Pete Huttlinger's DVDs:
Essential Exercises for Fingerstyle Guitar
A Guitarist's Guide to Better Practicing.

A few weeks ago, I went to hear Stephen Bennett play (he lives about 25 minutes from me!) and I bought his instructional CDs "Fingerstyle Finesse." A bit too advanced for me right now but I'll get there!