View Single Post
Old 08-04-2016, 06:30 AM
Guest 829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
This from the Epi website:

"Inside the upper f-hole is a 1930s-era replica Epiphone label."

They seem to be really conficted as to what they want to produce. It's a guitar that really wants to be a re-issue, but management is not listening. What's with putting a replica label in and then putting a huge plastic panel on the lower bout?

This company is really confused,or they are throwing all the cheap and easy stuff into the mix to appeal to those that don't know any better.
I agree that is is rather a strange concept but I think it will work. There has been a real trend towards guitars that smack of 'bygone times' and not to get to philosophical there is a fantastic quote from cultural theorist McLuhan who, to paraphrase, noted that we move forward by looking in a rear view mirror - we attach ourselves tho the things oft he past.

I mentioned before that the same has been happening in photography for many many years. The retro camera is still attracting buyers (Fuji, Leica) and it does not seem to be abating.

So the same is happening with guitars. In an ideal world I would like an original Epiphone Olympic (so I can copy Rawlings) but they are so hard to find and so expensive. Add to that the problem that even if you find one it might not be that good. I actually would not pay that kind of money for what was touted as a student guitar. As and aside, Ryan Adams' guitar is the same. If you can find one now they are so expensive.

I am going to try one when they arrive but half of me is not expecting to be blown away. That said, I recently picked up a Gretsch resonator for peanuts and it is a superb guitar. This begs the question: are guitars simply getting better overall because of production methods?

With regards to the pickup and plastic cover. I don't mind that to be honest. If is sounds good I can live with it.