View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
SD, how did you determine the exact right placement for the pairs? My question goes to the point that each mic and instrument has an area that's optimal and that's fairly subjective. Inches count. Would the Schoeps have sounded less punchy or carved if they were where either of the other two pairs we positioned? We can't say because they weren't in exactly the same place, and who's to say the best place would have been where either of the other two mics were...or somewhere in between. The devil is in the details.

I've worried over this point for years. If I position the mics where I want them and play three times, then my playing is the obvious variant. If I play once and position more than one pair, then their position is the variant.

Regards,

Ty Ford
I've not been following this thread completely but am chiming in anyway. My experience has been that no matter how "scientific" we would like mic placement to be, it isn't. The marvelous sound obtained on a given recording will probably not be completely repeatable even when in the same room, using the same player, instrument, mics, position, signal path, & recording device.