View Single Post
Old 08-30-2019, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatcomber View Post
Same for me, but for somewhat different reasons.

I'd played a 000-15M (the 14-fret, non-slothead model) at Guitar Center and was completely unimpressed. It sounded dull, dark and muffled.

In May, I walked into the Music Emporium here in Lexington, and saw that they had a 000-15SM in stock, and was immediately drawn to it. (I'm a sucker for slotheads.) This guitar didn't sound dark like the 000-15M at GC, it was warm, yes, but had plenty of 'life' and bloom.

The next day I went back to TME with some trade bait, and worked out a very fair deal with the shop for the Martin.

The guitar has only gotten better and better since, and I have completely bonded with it. As many have stated, the 15 series is probably the greatest value in Martin's USA line, and the 000-15SM might be the best model in the 15 series.

As for the dead 000-15M at Guitar Center? My guess is it had old strings and/or the action was high enough to suppress the treble response.
I had the same experience with the 000-15M. Dead sounding to me. Also at a Guitar Center, haha. I then ordered the 000-15SM sight unseen after being blown away by other similar 12 fret instruments. I agree, something about that design with the 12-fret body is magical.

In addition, Martin now uses African mahogany on the 15s instead of the coveted Honduran mahogany. So, again, if you go by what you read, you expect the new ones not to sound as good. Couldn't disagree more. I've played both, side by side, and my ear can't tell the difference. I agree the 000-15SM is the gem of the 15 series.