View Single Post
Old 08-30-2019, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Love that C100, Paul... just gorgeous. Is that the Iced Tea burst? Sure is beautiful. As much as I like the C10, I'm sure I'd love that one.

I had owned a couple Collings 0s, one with Mahogany/German and one EIR/German. And I'm a huge all-Mahogany fan. I had owned several all-hogs and loved them all. So, putting those two loves together... one day I was perusing the websites of my favorite guitar stores. Lo and behold, there was a brand new Collings 0 all-Mahogany with all the specs I wanted. I'd never played one, but I thought it must be a sweet guitar. So, after a telephone conversation or two, it was on its way to my house.

It's not the most expensive guitar ever built, it's a stripped-down version of their 01, it's not a custom build... but I flipped and fell head over heels. It just has the coolest little personality. I knew I'd like it, but had no idea how much.

Attachment 26550
That does look like one sweet guitar, Kerbie.
Speaking of all-mahogany guitars that surprised me, (though not in the same league as this Collings) is my Alvarez Masterworks all-mahogany parlor. It is actually between the size of a parlor and 00 but it is so responsive and light. It has a focused clarity to it without sacrificing any warmth. A nice bass that can rumble if you need it to. I find that when I play it near the bridge, I can get that raspy blues flavor but over the sound hole, it gets a smooth sweetness without being boxy. I keep getting amazed at what I can bring out of that little guitar. I have to confess that I have played a number of more expensive small all mahogany guitars that I haven't liked nearly as much. A Santa Cruz 00 and a Collings 00 being the two exceptions.

Best,
Jayne