View Single Post
Old 04-01-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephKim View Post
I messaged Ed awhile back deciding to try a custom.. I flaked because I just could not decide what I wanted!

Either an OM or GA with Lutz/Rosewood or Lutz/Walnut..

I'm afraid the Rosewood may have too many overtones for strumming.

I'm afraid the Walnut won't really know what it wants to be if that makes sense haha. I had one Walnut guitar and it just didn't have much character.

Any thoughts?
FWIW, Although not halcyons, my Martins are both IRW and to my only slightly trained ear don't have too many overtones to strum, it's all I know how to do and they sound great to me when doing so.

On Walnut and character: I'd just advise not to generalize to Ed's walnut axes from other builds/builders. He really takes a lot of time/care/skill to tune the tops (I believe) and tweaking other tonal variables. Never heard one in person, but posters of his walnut guitars have raved and loved them. Ed would be in the best position to address this issue with you. I'll also add, however, that my Halcyon 12 fret 000 in Primavera/Lutz has some over tones, but I'm pretty sure it's the Lutz contributing to this, so I'd be equally or more concerned about your top wood and bracing choices than back and sides.

Alternately, in commissioning my Halcyon and now my Tinker build, there are so many considerations and decisions, it can get a little daunting, confusing and this is when I leave it to the expert, Ed.

Peace

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (Ebony)
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (HC Burst)
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22

Last edited by psychojohn; 04-01-2015 at 01:59 PM.