View Single Post
Old 05-22-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctvolfan View Post
Okay my turn to add to this post since I finally played a GP and my GC yesterday. The only thing they had was a 317 in stock so I can only comment on it but I absolutely loved it! I am a flatpicker and it was so much more responsive to strumming and heavy strumming as apposed to my Taylor GA guitars. I want to try the 517 and the 717 before I make any decisions about buying one but I have to say, I really want one now. It is a very different animal for Taylor but in a very good way. I can't comment on how it stacks up with other brands of dreads since I generally don't play dread shapes. I know some have said it lacks volume and maybe it does up against other dread shaped guitars but I honestly didn't notice any lack of volume when I played it.
But as far as Taylors go it a very nice alternative to the the GA models I play.
Thanks for the post!

I still have GAS for a 717, but I'm trying to determine how I will use it before I drop the coin so to speak. My D-18 and J-45 have the flat picking thing covered. I just don't see how in the world the 717 could be better at this than my Martin and Gibson. Maybe different, but certain not better. Then, there is my need for a dedicated DADGAD guitar. My 000-18 is filling that role, but I would like a bigger sound, hence the desire for the 717. My only real concern is that I am so partial to the Martin sound, that I'm wondering if I would grow tired of the 717 quickly. It is a joy to play, and I liked the sound of it, but I can't say I'm IN LOVE with the sound.

The 000-18 falls in the LOVE the sound department, but I just wish that sound was bigger. Then I sit back and realize that the 000-18 is actually great for home playing and recording, and if I ever needed a bigger DADGAD sound, they just don't get any bigger in sound than my D-18.

Then, there is the Nitro vs Poly thing for me still. I am very careful with the finishes on my Martins and Gibson. The Taylor just seems like it would be easy to take care of and with the matte finish, dings and scratches are not really all that noticeable I'd imagine.

Decisions decisions...