View Single Post
Old 05-21-2019, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanAnd View Post

Any wise words or experiences in regards to the 317 vs. 517 BE?
I spent a lot of time (2 afternoons) in a shop trying both and comparing them mainly with the D18 that I was originally planning to get... I think you are absolutely right that all three models - 317, 517, and 717 - have different tones. Like you, I preferred the 317 and the 517, and suspect it's because I'm just not a Rosewood person.

For what it's worth, to my ears the 317 was slightly louder in the shop, but the 517 had a fuller tone across the board, which was the main thing that drove me to spend more on the 517. While you'd think the 317 would age-in more than the 517, since the latter has a torrefied top, I've found the 517 has expanded even more in the past several weeks. Another 517 owner made the same observation. It's also gotten a little louder as it's been played and after a truss rod adjustment that raised the action a little.

The other poster also made a perceptive comment that all of those available now are very newly-manufactured instruments, in the sense that they may still be settling in from the glue drying. Mine was built at the end of January. (Taylor serial number gives you manufacturing date.) So whichever one you buy, there's a chance it will get even better once you take it home. And I'm sorry if that doesn't help your itch any!