View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 08:50 AM

Sorry to hear of your physical ailments, Joost. As one who was also inpsired to play fingerstyle by seeing Tommy Emmanuel I was cursed with stubby and crooked little fingers. I always admired your dexterity and envied those long fingers that God gave you.

Like you I also ventured into the building discipline but more out of a desire to appreciate the process and not truly build a dream guitar - though it was fun to start with a blank page instead of searching far and wide for a factory guitar that suited my tastes and budget. I see that you're already well into the process - and again I find myself envying you again for those nice glass templates, custom tuners and CNC. What I don't envy you is the daunting task of learning the ropes on such high grade tonewood. You look like you have help though!

Regardless, you're in for a very satisfying experience and when you're done you might just find that it can be as addicitve as GAS is to you was as a player and you'll want to do it all over again, if not for yourself then for those who are close to you. I for one truly enjoyed chiseling the braces and rough-shaping the neck. It's almost like scuplture, only you stop every so often to tap the wood to see how it sounds as you reduce the mass.