View Single Post
Old 01-20-2019, 04:22 PM

In response to those who wonder why whole house or furnace humidifiers aren't doing the job for the OP...

I can't answer to his specific situation, but I guess it depends on the size of the house and maybe even it's age. My house is big, near 100 years old, and even though I don't heat all the rooms and varying degrees of insulation have been added over the years...Keeping it warm and properly humidified is a bear.

Keeping most the the house reasonably humidified with a decent floor humidifier and one guitar room definitely well humidified was an effective solution for me.

Regarding furnace humidifiers, I've had three over the years. They all failed at one point or another, the last one kicked it just past the warranty expiration.
None of them could properly handle the job and even more importantly...Sometimes I couldn't tell that they failed until the dryness effects because obvious.* I almost lost a guitar that way.

I never bothered with them anymore after the last one died.

*To be fair, I didn't have an independent hygrometer in the house then...Nowadays, I have three. I just relied on the little green light on the furnace telling me that everything was just spiffy. The furnace humidifier is long dead, but the little green light still works. Go figure.