View Single Post
Old 11-07-2011, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Ty, this is not what I was getting at in my last few posts though the one ear thing comes close. I often use one mike in mono for the sound I want and then add the second mike in stereo for best improvement over the mono sound. The issue I was talking about is largely unrelated to gear and more about how the brain interprets phase issues in mono versus stereo and how that may relate to guitar recordings. I will drop it for now (perhaps another thread).

Regarding the TLM 103 I was not condeming it at all although I do have mikes I prefer using at this point. The last time I used it I was using it with a Great River MP-2H. There is always room for room improvement.
Hey Rick Actually I have found your statements quite thought provoking and Since the OP in his third post did in fact ask about one mic or two,
the discussion that has ensued has been IMO entirely on topic.

And of course what you are stating from a strict Laws of physics related to audio standpoint Is also entirely accurate i.e. : Two of same or simular signals arriving at a single mic at different time intervals will indeed strictly speaking be out of phase (even at single or fractions of milliseconds) as would in fact be the case with an acoustic guitar single close mic'ed at say 6" from the 14 th fret. The sound ( which travels at aprox. 1ft in 1 millisecond) coming from the lower rear of the guitar sound board (lets call it 24" from the 14 fret) is going to arrive at the mic aprox lets say 1.5 milliseconds after the sound from the 14 fret.

So the question is not weather or not there will be phase issues and resulting comb filtering effects because in fact there will be. The question is weather or not at those single or fractions of milliseconds, will they be discernable buy the human ear and brain and if so to what extent and how that might be interpreted.

This question is actually the source for endless debate in the audiophile world. Which is where I first ran into it, for 6 years I sold high end to audiophile grade stereo gear. It was actually a great opportunity to developed my critical listening skills by listening to music on great systems every day all day long. In all Honesty I was not a great salesman because if I thought some of the hype was BS I said so to my customers.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 11-07-2011 at 01:23 PM.