View Single Post
Old 05-12-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsstrider View Post
Funny you should mention 13 and 17 for the plain steel. I just put on a set of Elir HD Nanowebs 80/20 to try. these are 13,17,25,32,42,53.
Maybe that will help.
I'm a fingerstyle player primarily and I'm in the pursuit of tone more than anything. I've heard that the 2 kinds of strings that work great on the OF660 are Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze and Elixir HD lights. I've tried the former and they are stellar- just wish they didn't turn my fingers black. I've not tried the HD lights but I do have a set of Elixir 80/20 Bluegrass (Med/ light).

I'm so convinced that this has been one of the tone issues that I've been facing with my short scale guitars that I'm actually ordering .13 and .17 singles in bulk.That way I can swap out the .12 and .16 on every set until I find what works best. I might just go back to the Ernie Ball if the Elixirs do not impress- I'm typically not a fan of the feel of them. The Aluminum Bronze sounded monstrous on the OF660 just need that extra beef on the top to take out the plinky/ tinnyness.

It isn't just me- check out this pro's video

Last edited by steelvibe; 05-12-2019 at 02:30 PM.