View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
CF doesn't have the flexibility that is needed for a truss rod to work. It's too stiff.

There have been a number of patents on designs to do this, but they haven't been widely adopted for the obvious reasons... they add expense and complexity to the instrument, and most players just don't care that much.
Ok, now I am sure that you work for Peavey!

As you guys know Rainsong has a working truss rod system that works just fine. I was at LA Guitar Sales last month and watched Ted adjust a clinets truss rod on a dreadnought after installing heavier strings for him. Ted still has some left over CA's in stock so we got to talking about the truss rod controversy. Ted explained how CA's are built and once understood it's obvious CA can't have a truss rod. Seems CA guitars feature a one pice bowl back that includes the neck, so if you bend the neck the entire back will get torqued more than likely cracking the neck joint. On a Rainsong the neck is a separate piece so neck relief and even neck angle adjustments are no more difficult than on our wood guitars.

In my opinion Peavey should worry less about truss rods and start taking responsibility for all the CA's already out there. There are stories of bridges coming off, fretboards de laminating, and even some necks cracking.