View Single Post
Old 07-04-2013, 11:46 PM

So while I wait on my sandpaper to arrive, I've been working on my rosette.

This was my first attempt at the pie pieces that would make up the rosette in the first stage. I made the cuts for the pieces from 12 o'clock to 8 o'clock (ish) on my bandsaw. Not a very accurate way to make the cuts, and it didn't work too well.

The pieces from 8 o'clock to 12 o'clock were initially cut with a sharp medium size saw. Much straighter initial lines, and, the pieces were much closer to complete pie pieces. So they mate up well in the center. After the cuts, I of course sanded the edges so the joints are fairly tight.

So I redid the first pieces, and I like the result much better.

The light colored wood is white oak, the dark is walnut. Should look pretty under finish.

This is how I'm gluing them together. Two clamps to hold the existing completed pieces, another to hold a caul level on the granite block, and the last to apply the clamping pressure on the caul.

Then, once gluing is complete, I'll fix it to a level board from underneath, and use my trim router to cut the inner and outer radius with a pin in the center.

This is the method I'll use to fix the glued up circle to the board underneath it (idea pictured below, which is not my photo by the way, stolen from here). Glue the un-cut rosette to a piece of paper, then the paper to a piece of wood. I can then hammer in my center nail for the trim router's circle cutting jig. Cut the inner and outer radii, then use a spatula to detach the rosette from the work board.

I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts on how well they think this may or may not work. I don't see any other way to do what I'm trying to accomplish, but that may just be my ignorance.

I will do some test runs of this, using some thin pieces of wood, before cutting on the real rosette.

Idea stolen from here.

Last edited by Viking; 07-04-2013 at 11:59 PM.