View Single Post
Old 08-02-2013, 01:41 PM

Congrats, sir! You and I have had similar paths up to this point and solo playing is a blast. You're the boss now; enjoy the ride.

My advice on gear is different than what's above. A full PA might be "versatile," because you in theory can do larger and smaller gigs with it, but I've done hundreds of gigs and never, ever, needed one in all the venues I've done. So if I had one, it would be WAY overkill, and far more hassle than is worth to me. A small system like the Fishman SA220 or Bose Compact (I use and am a huge fan of the former) will very likely suit you for 95% or more of the gigs you do as a soloist, and both are breeze to set-up in two minutes or less, both serve as mains AND a monitor system, both get the speakers up above head level where they need to be and both are insanely easy to transport. And both sound great, although they are significantly different. I guess it all depends on your priorities about hauling and setting up gear, space requirements, sound quality, value for your dollar, etc.

And yes, there's a world of effects and things to explore or you can go ultra-simple, with just a guitar and a vocal. Like I said, you're the boss! And as or may have seen, the stand-up/sit-down debate has been discussed here often, but for my .02 worth, a performer always looks more professional and in control when they stand up. Sitting down ain't gonna ruin your show, by any mans, but it doesn't present the best image of the performer, IMO.

Have fun!

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic