Thread: Song Rights?
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2019, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojangles View Post
To those who gave helpful advice, thank you. To those who were borderline snarky, thank you also, but I'm sorry that I posted.

Yes, I do play my originals in public. No, I try not to allow people to record my performances on their phones. They have no legal right to record my performance, although it is sometimes hard to prevent it.

Yes, I do play covers. And the venues are paying into ASCAP and BMI. I am not going to stop playing my own songs in public. So much for the Simon & Garfunkel reference. I just want to have some say in who can perform my songs. Once I publish them, that option is gone. They are my creations, so I can manage them as I wish. I simply wanted to know if radio air play constitutes publishing, and I have my answer.
Since I made the comment about Simon probably not caring about my covering his song, (which BTW has nothing to do with you playing your songs in public ,but has to with others playing your songs in public ) .

So first let me say
I was not trying to be "borderline snarky" so apologies if it seemed that way.
I was trying to shine a bright light from a different perspective and observation on your concern about control and to offer some objective thoughts and observations about the reality of attempting "control over performance". Because we all, sometimes have totally subjective notions about things, that perhaps need a bit more objective rethinking. just sayin'

In a much much broader sense, perhaps also consider, the concept that (other than personal perspective) "control" is pretty much an illusion
Take it or leave it, obviously your choice. Good luck

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 08-04-2019 at 11:10 AM.